Sunday, July 27, 2014

Confessions of Katie

"It is far better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you are not."  ~Unknown

For a long time, ever since social media became "a thing", I have been fearful of sharing who I am with "the world".  Who I am, meaning my political beliefs, my social beliefs, my spirituality...  I've shared hints here and there, but have always been afraid to share fully.  In light of recent events, I have become overwhelmed by the world, burdened by all the violence and evil.  That, combined with getting older, has made me realize I'm tired of hiding.  It seems silly that I'm afraid to share who I am when there are Christians dying because they refuse to renounce their faith.  I have been inspired by them to throw it all out there.  If you don't like it, then feel free to "unfriend" me, on social media or in real life.  I promise I'll try not to be too hurt by it.  ;)  

So here goes...

I am a wife!  And I don't think that submission is a bad word.  I "submit" to my husband in the biblical sense and he in turn lifts me up with more respect than before... funny how that works.  It is important to note that Biblical submission in this sense is a voluntary attitude of cooperating and allowing my husband to lead. 

I am passionately Pro-Life!  I believe that life begins at conception.  I also believe that we need to find better ways of helping women who are faced with an unexpected pregnancy.  Instead of brushing her under the carpet and "taking care of it", really helping her explore and understand her options.  Providing healing alternatives such as adoption, instead of the violence of abortion. 

I am a Feminist!  Maybe not in the way that you define the word, but I believe in women recognizing their worth, beauty, and strength.  We should embrace what makes us different from men.  We can bring life into the world!  How amazing is that?  Maybe I'm just a hippy Catholic, but I think that's pretty awesome. 

I am a follower of Jesus Christ!  Most historians and scholars agree that a man named Jesus walked the earth at the same time as the Biblical Jesus Christ.  C.S. Lewis sums it up best in his book Mere Christianity, "A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic--on the level with a man who says he is a poached egg--or he would be the devil of hell. You must take your choice. Either this was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us." 

I am a Catholic Christian!  I am passionate about bringing about unity with our non-Catholic brothers and sisters.  Christian Unity doesn't mean we will all suddenly agree on matters of doctrine.  My husband and I believe that Christian Unity means looking past our differences, focusing on what we believe in common, and choosing to embrace one another as brothers and sisters in Christ.  In these crazy and violent times, where Christians are being persecuted all over the world, this is not just important, it is VITAL.

I am a Natural Family Planner!  We just wrapped up #NFPAwarenessWeek, which I honestly didn't think was a real thing, but it is.  I would encourage you to learn about your fertility.  It's science!  :) 
There are several reasons why we practice Natural Family Planning.  One, because I'm Catholic and the Catholic church asks me to.  Another very important reason is because I spend a lot of extra time and money to purchase hormone free meat, cheese, and milk for myself and my husband, and I'm not to keen on the idea of making all that effort go to waste by pumping chemicals and hormones into my system via the Birth Control Pill.  We have been practicing NFP to avoid pregnancy, with 100% success, for 14 months.  Out of respect for my husband, who didn't have to be supportive of me, I take my charting very seriously.  And it works.  My husband and I give 100% of ourselves to each other... he accepts all of me, even my fertility.    

Sooo... thanks for listening! 

No comments:

Post a Comment